The purpose of the Houston County Teacher Hall of Fame is to honor extraordinary classroom teachers who taught in Houston County, Georgia and made a significant difference in the lives of their students. This recognition program began in 2007 to honor the district’s most outstanding teachers.
Nominees must have maintained exemplary standards of behavior and ethics, exhibited leadership, been enthusiastic about teaching and learning, demonstrated competency in their subject matter, worked well with colleagues and administrators, and consistently sought to encourage, inspire, and motivate students toward greater accomplishment. While many teachers serve a long and distinguished career, accomplishments must be worthy of district-wide recognition. Longevity without meaningful impact does not constitute appropriate credentials for Houston County Teacher Hall of Fame consideration.
- At least 20 years of classroom experience in the Houston County School District
- Must be retired from the field of education
- Must have held a valid teaching certificate in Georgia
- Must have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher
- After the nomination has been verified for the eligibility requirements above, the nominee will be contacted by the District to submit an application that must include:
- Education, teaching experience, and special recognition
- Nominee’s personal, professional statements
- Letters of support or recommendation
The next induction ceremony will take place in 2025. Nominations are accepted year-round. Dr. Mark Scott, Superintendent of Schools, appoints the Selection Committee, which reviews all nominations. Nominees not chosen the first year may be considered for the next induction cycle. The application is modeled after the National Teachers Hall of Fame located in Emporia, Kansas, to make it easier to also nominate a teacher at the national level.
Online Nomination Form
In the interest of fairness to all nominees, only those who follow these nomination instructions will be considered. All information submitted is subject to be retained by the Houston County School District.
Click here to complete the online nomination form.
Once the nomination form is received, we will verify eligibility. If determined to be eligible, the Houston County School District will contact the nominee directly to complete the second step of the nomination process.
For more information about the Teacher Hall of Fame nomination process, contact Community Relations at (478) 988-6390 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teacher Hall of Fame Members
Mrs. Marion Hunter Cheek