History of the Houston County School District
Welcome to the Houston
County School District Archives website! This website documents our District's history and serves as a place to house historical information and
photographs pertaining to both the District and our schools.
Contributions are gladly accepted for consideration of posting.
Our families are invited to share pictures, newspaper clippings, programs or other pertinent information. Please scan and submit items by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Board
Boards of Education originated in 1870 with the creation of the Georgia constitution. The first reporting of schools to the State occurred in 1873. The Houston County Board of Education is comprised of seven members elected to serve four-year terms. Five members are elected by voting districts; two members are elected at-large. The Superintendent of Schools serves as an ex-officio member of the Board and acts as the Secretary-Treasurer. The Board is a political subdivision of the State of Georgia with the power and authority to maintain, operate and make rules and regulations to govern the schools within the jurisdiction. As the governing body of the school district, the Board's primary responsibilities are policymaking, budget approval, evaluation of the superintendent and other duties as prescribed by law. The superintendent and staff work to enforce the policies and to ensure that each student has an equal opportunity for quality education.
Currently, the district consists of 36 schools which serve approximately 30,000 students. The Houston County School District is District Accredited by the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement accreditation seal. This means that the district and all 36 schools are accredited and that Houston County is recognized across the nation as a quality school district.