Home Study Students
Home study students must enroll in and complete one qualifying course as defined in state law for each semester of participation. Eligible home study students are able to participate in extracurricular or interscholastic activities at their zoned public school when the parent provides:
- written notice at least 30 calendar days before the first day of the semester in which a student will enroll in a qualifying course and
- written notice of the student's intent to participate in an activity and a copy of the student's most recent annual progress assessment report, along with written verification from the home study program instructor that the student currently is receiving a passing grade in each course, is maintaining satisfactory progress toward advancement, and meets the requirements for participation in the specified activity.
For each semester of participation, the home study student must enroll in and complete one qualifying course facilitated by the Houston County School District and required for participation in designated activities. The student must meet established age, academic, residence, zoning, and other rules and criteria required of all students who participate in the selected activity and provide any supporting documentation required by the school.
- The student must abide by the same Code of Conduct and disciplinary measures and transportation policies as students enrolled at the school who are participating in the activity, which includes completing the tryout process or equivalent required for all students for participation and being selected for the activity if there is a competitive selection process.
- For students participating in activities governed by the Georgia High School Association, students must meet the prerequisite eligibility requirements, and any student that withdraws from a public school to attend a home study program will be ineligible for one calendar year.
- Any student that withdraws from a public school to attend a home study program will be ineligible for participation in any extracurricular or interscholastic activity for 12 months from the date of the withdraw from a public school system and/or home study Declaration of Intent submission to the GaDOE.
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school
For more information, contact Central Registration at (478) 741-3610.