In the Houston County School District, our mission is to produce high-achieving students and safety is our number one priority. We strive to meet the academic, social-emotional, and health needs of all students, with a goal to provide a quality education which serves the diverse learning needs of our students and families.
In response to COVID-19, our district is offering two learning options for the 2020-2021 school year: instruction at school or distance learning at home through Houston Virtual. Details about each option are provided below.
Students are required to commit to a learning option (in-person or distance learning) for the minimum of a grading period, which is 9 weeks for elementary students and 18 weeks for middle and high school students.
Our first option allows students to return to campus with enhanced health and safety protocols, which our schools will review with students. The health and safety protocols include:
- coordination with local health officials;
- increased hygiene and sanitation protocols;
- enforcing social distancing where practicable;
- encouraging face coverings or masks for students and staff;
- utilizing directional hallways where possible;
- limiting parent and visitor access to the office area only;
- keeping students with their cohort as much as possible, to include recess and lunch; and
- avoiding large gatherings, such as assemblies.